The importance of empathy in business, in life, and in society is monumental. As social media and political polarization mount, empathy is the guiding light that can save us all. Not only is empathy a powerful way to relate with others, but it also helps us find common ground and form strong connections. Empathy can lead us to build successful businesses and even better personal relationships. If you’re unfamiliar with empathy and how it can help your business, keep reading to learn more.
What Is Empathy?
Have you ever been told to put yourself in another person’s shoes? While the advice itself is a bit cliche, the expression does a great job of explaining what empathy is. An empathetic person can understand and feel what someone else is experiencing from their point of view. When you have empathy, you intentionally seek ways to understand other people’s positions, experiences, and opinions from their point of reference.
Keep in mind that empathy is different from sympathy. Empathy deals with feeling what someone else is feeling, whereas sympathy is feeling sorry for someone.
What Does Empathy Mean In Business?
Putting empathy into practice isn’t as difficult as it sounds, and doing so can help your business tremendously. Companies that foster a sense of empathy see higher retention rates, happier staff, and a better bottom line.
Why Is Empathy Important For Success?
Empathy is important for success because of its power to bridge divides within groups of people that have different ideals or opinions. Many businesses may see this as Gen Z enters the workforce and learns to work alongside older generations. By encouraging empathy, your team will learn to work together in harmony despite their differing opinions.
Creating A Unified World
Empathy is the first step to bringing positive change to your business and personal life. To truly create a unified world, however, it’s essential to dedicate yourself to the following principles:
- Empathy: While being empathetic comes naturally to a few people, almost everyone is capable of feeling empathy. Practice empathy by being curious about people and asking yourself why they speak, act, or think a certain way.
- Reconciliation: Addressing wrongdoings is essential to moving on and creating a consensus. You can begin reconciliation by focusing on truth and using empathy.
- Building Common Ground: Everyone has something in common, and finding similarities among your team members is key to success moving forward.
- The Value of Education: Education is the foundation for the entire nation’s success. Encouraging young people to seek education, and making education accessible, will be critical to creating a unified society. Education can mean formal education from schools, trade-schools and it can come from self-education.
- Other Essentials: In many ways,ocial media has had a negative impact on our ability to trust others and be empathetic. Instead of doom-scrolling through politicized posts, you can log off and actually spend time with the people you love.
Interested In Learning More?
Cultivating empathy and finding common ground are fundamental if you want to succeed in your business and personal life. If you’re ready to learn more about building unity, watch the Ascending Thoughts episode on the 6 Principles to Bridging the Divide and Building Unity. And if you’re interested in ascending your company to greater heights, contact our office today to learn more about our business advisory services.